VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What was the first coaster you rode that turned you upside down?

29yrswithaGApass

Here is a quick little thread to see what was the first coaster you rode that turned you upside down. I was thinking about my first loop and thought it may have been Lightnin' Loops but then realized, my first coaster with inversion(s) was:

Corkscrew at Knott's Berry Farm in August 1977:

hgg9825qo0m6002ap33i2d.jpg

Photo from RCDB.com

Sooperdooperlooper on Friday May 28th, 1999. I figured I would try the coaster since it had 1 loop and if I didn't like it, then there were no more loops to deal with. I didn't like it and the loop hurt my neck a little. I then tried Loch Ness Monster in April 2003 and liked that coaster and decided to give SDL another chance on Labor Day 2004. I liked it the coaster a lot more and it is now my favorite steel coaster since it is great to go upside down with just a lap bar and is just an overall fun coaster. I hope Hershey doesn't get rid of it anytime soon.

Sooperdooperlooper on Friday May 28th, 1999. I figured I would try the coaster since it had 1 loop and if I didn't like it, then there were no more loops to deal with. I didn't like it and the loop hurt my neck a little. I then tried Loch Ness Monster in April 2003 and liked that coaster and decided to give SDL another chance on Labor Day 2004. I liked it the coaster a lot more and it is now my favorite steel coaster since it is great to go upside down with just a lap bar and is just an overall fun coaster. I hope Hershey doesn't get rid of it anytime soon.

Here is my one minute Sooperdooperlooper story.....

On July7, 1977 (7/7/77!) my family went to Hersheypark for the first time after seeing so many ads for the new Sooperdooperlooper. To my shock and horror, when we got to the gate the ride was listed as "Not Operating Today". All day long I was pretty upset because this was going to be my first upside down ride. Just before it started to get dark we left the park - we had fun but without the loop. We hopped into our car and headed out of the parking lot and down the road that took you behind the Sooperdooperlooper. Just as we drove past, a train full of screaming riders went twirling through the loop. Sometime between when we left the park and drove past they opened the ride and because we didn't have our hands stamped, I missed out on flipping upside down. I was scarred for life!

• 3 months later...

Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey Park sometime after it was first opened in the seventies? I don't remember the exact date but I was just a kid. Wasn't it one of the first looping coasters?

I was hooked after that. There isn't a ride or coaster built that I will not try.

The first one was Lightnin' Loops in 1978. Later that summer, a group of us from Show Ops took a day trip to Hershey Park for the Sooperdooperlooper. The tough part was leaving at 5:30 to 6 in the morning to get to Hershey, hoping that the lines were not too long.

• 10 months later...

^lol wow! That seems a little dangerous. I remember I didn't want to go on Rock'n Roller Coaster because I knew it had inversions. In order for my parents to get me on, they had to trick me and say it only had one. (I believe it has 3 or 4). My second coaster that had mulitple inversions was the Great American Scream Machine.

• 3 months later...