VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

29yrswithaGApass

Here's the answer to the latest question:

The Old Country rendering was one of ten different style attraction posters specially designed for the 1994 season. These posters each illustrated a section of the park that awaited just beyond the park gates. These were installed on the left and righthand sides of the outer entrance plaza (ten on each side).

gallery_2_213_150297.jpg

Time Warner borrowed the idea from the Disney parks. Walt Disney always thought that entering Disneyland was similar to entering a theater. The outside mall was the lobby and the attracation posters in this area and in the tunnel portals leading to Main Street were used to promote the "coming attractions" inside the park. Main Street USA was thought of as the "red carpet" which directed guests to the show.

DLPOSTERS.jpg

Great Adventure's posters were short lived and were removed only weeks after they were added. Rain and the bright sun quickly took their toll on the posters and the framed cases weren't exactly weatherproof. For a couple of years a similar set of posters hung on the walls inside the Season Pass Processing Center when it was located under the Great Lake Grandstands.

Well, it's obviously for a show that was at night. So i'm not sure but I will quess The Quest For Camelot Show. I think that was the show with the "water wall" movie screen. Although I have seen a patriotic themed show with the "water wall" movie screen also.

Well here's the answer....

Those platforms were used for spotlights. There were two of them- one in each of the top corners of the Great Lake Grandstands. When the Grandstands were built in 1983, the Water Ski Spectacular played five times each day - Noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, and 8pm on weekdays and 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm. and 9pm on weekends.

The last shows of the evening were performed "under the lights" which lit up the lake. The spotlights were used to shine on the skiers as they performed.

gallery_2_31_276824.jpg

Never got to see the ski show I don't believe which is a bit dissapointing. I'm surprised they don't bring something like that back. Maybe next year with the park's anniversary they go back to it's earlier roots :). I don't think I would have gotten that either way though because I never would have guessed they did a show at night requiring lights for that!

Yeah, I think you're right...Chris Craft was the other sponsor. It was one of those great subtle product placements where the announcers would say somethign like, "And here comes stunt driver John Anderson, piloting his Master-Craft boat, and lets hear it for the triple helicopter jump!"