VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

29yrswithaGApass

Perthy P. Pellican was the first character featured in the new puppet theater added in 1978 and peformed until the end of the 1984 season. In 1985 Perthy was replaced with the Salty Dog show.

I'm quite sure "The Great Gadzooks" was located at the puppet theater (across from The Buccaneer) for the 1986 and/or 1987 season. I believe "The Salty Dog" premiered in 1988 or 1989. I still remember the "Gadzooks" theme song, and being told "he returned to the Safari", when I asked why the show left. Do you still have the show schedules from those seasons?

Of course, I was still in the single digits during that time...

I'm quite sure "The Great Gadzooks" was located at the puppet theater (across from The Buccaneer) for the 1986 and/or 1987 season. I believe "The Salty Dog" premiered in 1988 or 1989. I still remember the "Gadzooks" theme song, and being told "he returned to the Safari", when I asked why the show left. Do you still have the show schedules from those seasons?

Of course, I was still in the single digits during that time...

The dates I mentioned for those shows were based on the actual show schedules from those years. What type of character was "The Great Gadzooks"? Maybe that will jog something for me.

QUESTION #21:

True or False: In an effort to be like Disney, for three brief weeks in the summer of 1993 Time Warner's Bob Pittman opened a working Barber Shop under the Great Lake Grandstands. Although the sign advertised 5 chairs, only two were ever installed. It was meant to imitate the Barber Shop found on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.

gallery_2_31_269136.jpg

I an not positive, but I will say true. Because they would not have put up the no eating, drinking or smoking sign if guest's were never in there. But now that all of you reminded me about Beachcombers my reasoning means nothing. But I will still say true.

Edited by Railer

Originally when the Great Lake Grandstand was built, that was the Beachcomber Shop which featured all kinds of nautical gifts...lots of shells and stuff.

Later the shop was closed and served as the control room for the park's TV sets in the queue lines.

I had forgotten all about Computer Portraits! And if I remember correctly, they branched out and had a computer printout thing that told you about your birthday, and what your name meant, and did a relationship analysis based on your birthdays. I can still hear those old dot matrix printers grinding away!

Of course all that became passe when they added the "Your picture on a magazine cover" stand! That was high tech! :D

Wow, did that bring me back!

I think I remember the Salty Dog running for a couple of years, but my memories from those years were a bit foggy. We never passed by there at the right time. It was always a stop at the Buccaneer for my mom and a stop at Condor for me!

Actually when I was young I thought there actually was a barber shop in there, my was I an impressionable kid. I'm going to say false, it's more of just a playful theme element that many people don't get to walk by this year because of the Grandstand's lack of show and the closing off of the Lakefront path due to the building of BBNP in '06 which is a real shame.

Edited by BuddyChrist

Im going with true, stupid idea if ya ask me, but any theme park that removes all their flats and puts nothing in their place has a bad decision making team and it would not suprise me if they though people would get there hair cut in the park. O and does anyone remember the name of the place where you could record your own music tape in boardwalk area?

The answer to True or False QUESTION #21, "In an effort to be like Disney, for three brief weeks in the summer of 1993 Time Warner's Bob Pittman opened a working Barber Shop under the Great Lake Grandstands. Although the sign advertised 5 chairs, only two were ever installed. It was meant to imitate the Barber Shop found on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom" is FALSE.

The "Barber Shop" started as the Beachcomber Gift Shop when the Great Lake Grandstand was built in 1983. The gift shop lasted through the 1989 season and closed when the water ski show was replaced with a lumber jack themed show in 1990. The shop remained signless until 1993 when Time Warner added the Barber Shop signage to dress up the vacant looking spot. However, there was never an actual Barber Shop in the Great Lake Grandstand or anywhere else within the Theme Park. :Hairraising::PullHair::Punk3::Afro:

Was it to represent the recent updates the section had undergone with the addition of the Autobahn, new games, and retheme of the enterprise into the spinmeister? I believe around 1993 or 1994. My guess would signage around the fountain heading towards that section of the park.