VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

29yrswithaGApass

My first park uniform was one just like the guy in the picture just above is wearing. The shirts had fake suspenders sewn onto them which matched the pants. That was the Merchandise department uniform in the early 80's (the girls had a red/pink version), and those were retired for use by the parks private contractors when I worked there.

It's funny to see that little booth and realize it's basically mounted on a pallet so they could move it with a forklift.

In 1979 Great Adventure added Rolling Thunder situated in an entirely new southwestern themed section of the park called Hernando's Hideaway. Who or what was Hernando?

Hernando's Hideaway was the name of the games building situated at the exit to Rolling Thunder, was it not?

Hernando's Hideaway was the name of the games building situated at the exit to Rolling Thunder, was it not?

Yes, Hernando's Hideaway initially referred to the games building just outside of Rolling Thunder (the one that now contains Johnny Rockets Express). The name was later used (albeit somewhat unofficially) as a term to describe that entire themed section, especially aftrer additional games and merchandise stands were added.

I had forgotten all about Computer Portraits! And if I remember correctly, they branched out and had a computer printout thing that told you about your birthday, and what your name meant, and did a relationship analysis based on your birthdays. I can still hear those old dot matrix printers grinding away!

Of course all that became passe when they added the "Your picture on a magazine cover" stand! That was high tech! :D

QUESTION #21:

True or False: In an effort to be like Disney, for three brief weeks in the summer of 1993 Time Warner's Bob Pittman opened a working Barber Shop under the Great Lake Grandstands. Although the sign advertised 5 chairs, only two were ever installed. It was meant to imitate the Barber Shop found on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.

gallery_2_31_269136.jpg