VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Lake Grandstand, Aqua Stadium, and Live n Local Stage being removed

Railer

I still wished they were keeping this and just refurbishing it, bring back the dolphins and high dive shows.... I know... wishful thinking.

Noticed yesterday that black silt fencing has been placed around the aqua stadium.

gallery_2_35_823607.jpg

Glad they are doing that, and good eye. Did they have any of the light's in the Pool still operating the last year's it was open? I know shows were always during daylight hours during that time, and there was not any way for Guest's to see if they were on other than the view from the Skyride.

Um... Six Flags Discovery Kingdom also has quite a few marine stadiums as well. The arguments about Dolphins/whales really are no different than those that can be applied to the safari or animal park. Those willing to visit such attractions far outweigh those that protest. If they didn't, Discovery Kingdom, Sea World/Busch Gardens would all have gone out of business years ago.

Um... Six Flags Discovery Kingdom also has quite a few marine stadiums as well. The arguments about Dolphins/whales really are no different than those that can be applied to the safari or animal park. Those willing to visit such attractions far outweigh those that protest. If they didn't, Discovery Kingdom, Sea World/Busch Gardens would all have gone out of business years ago.

It's true and all those parks get regularly targeted by PETA and other groups. Especially marine life parks are the current targets.

On top of that, the facilities at Great Adventure were badly neglected by past management to the point they are beyond repair without spending millions of dollars. While dolphin shows have always been popular, any attendance spike that they might get from spending millions on the needed repairs, it would be small compared to what spending the same amount of money on a new ride.

I know that it takes away yet another show venue from the park and makes it even more of a thrill park and less well rounded than it should be, but shows at Great Adventure have not been a priority and will probably never be again. It's sad to me as a person who worked for MANY years in Great Adventure's Show Operations Department, but it's a fact of life. The crowds the park gets do not want to sit for shows. They didn't 25 years ago when I worked there and they really don't now since they have the attention spans of gnats.

Yeah, the shows I've gone to involving animals have drawn very scarce crowds the past couple of seasons. There is certainly a need for shows at the park, but with SORA I do think it isn't a necessity to have a show with animals. A regular entertainment/stunt show could be a big hit, though, with proper marketing.

I'm amazed to be hearing some of these comments that fly in the face of the park's history. The Aqua Spectacle easily was the park's most attended venue and the dolphin show was certainly amongst the park's favorites, if not, the favorite of all shows. Having worked in marketing research for the park and later for their key research supplier, it's clear that the key decision makers at the park and corporate don't understand their market (customers AND potential customers/rejectors). They keep touting their high customer satisfaction ratings, but neglect to realize those ratings are among fewer, and fewer guests. They will never attract a broader audience with fewer, and fewer guests, and fewer, and fewer, park offerings. You can't sell something that you don't have. Of course times have changed, the theme park industry has changed, but those that lead the industry set the standards. Six Flags, with this park that once lead (and should still lead today), is a mess of a company that doesn't have any viable plan for sustained growth in the long term. Everything they seem to do is nothing more than a band-aid for today. Sorry to sound so bleak, but I've lost all hope.

• Like 1

Aqua Spectacle WAS the most popular attraction in the history of the park, at one point. Since then the dolphin, sea lion and high dive shows have tapered off in popularity.

I am in complete agreement with you that a show lineup makes a park well rounded and would absolutely grow attendance over time with consistent investment and changes in marketing. It would require consistent investments of millions of dollars and patience to try to remake the park as a more well rounded "family" park more like a Busch Gardens, but that is not something the current management wants to do or even CAN do. That is very much what Shapiro and company wanted to do, but the shareholders want the quick buck and immediate ROI. They don't think long term. They don't care.

I work for Walt Disney World and I can tell you the same kinds of things are happening here. Shows are passe. People don't want to sit through a show anymore. Hell, look at BROADWAY shows! All the stories of people texting and everything else because they have to attention span, no sense of what is and isn't appropriate while watching a show, no class.

GAcoaster is right. Having worked in shows for the past few years people simple do not want to sit through them and a good amount of people leave during a show, even a 20 minute one! But then they go and complain to employees that there's not an amount of shows like there used to be but none of them wanna sit and watch shows.

I really have to disagree here on some points. People don't want to sit through shows that are poorly produced, unentertaining or even non-educating. I have worked at several different Cirque du Soleil shows (traveling performances vs. Vegas based theatre locations) and there never was a problem filling seats starting at $30.00 for the bad seats and most seats going for $75.00+. There have always been and will always be plenty of ignorant/rude people who can't appreciate talent, artistic impressions, or learning about the other animals that we share this earth with. For the past two seasons, Six Flags has seen its attendance decline while increasing per capita spending. They're attendance is now comprised of nearly 50% season pass/memberships. Sorry, there's no way they can be profitable with half their attendance paying about $65.00 to get into all of their parks. We all can say what we want about Disney and their prices, however, they continue to grow attendance and reinvest in their parks and offer a quality experience.