VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2017 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I'm certainly hoping for a the Dueler in 2017, but that is somewhat of a bold prediction. A Justice League Dark Ride would seem to be a more realistic fit, but as Railer said, Fitzgerald's #1 Priority is no dead areas in the park. I honestly am excited to see what 2017 entails.

Edited by Tower

I'm certainly hoping for a the Dueler in 2017, but that is somewhat of a bold prediction. A Justice League Dark Ride would seem to be a more realistic fit, but as Railer said, Fitzgerald's #1 Priority is no dead areas in the park. I honestly am excited to see what 2017 entails.

I get SF is trying to save money, but what was the last custom-coaster they built (that wasn't something like Total Mayhem) or an RMC transformation? I'm talking a coaster like Bizzaro or Nitro that has a drop and loops and all that stuff. I honestly don't see them investing the time or money into a dueler for any year. With how SF operates, they'll probably just throw some flats in OC and call it a day (which is why I'm done purchasing season passes).

Here's my prediction for what will happen in 2017: we're all going to talk and talk about a dueler and the JL dark ride (just like how we talked about free-spins, wing-riders, and a giga this year). By mid-august, most of us will have our own ideas as to what the park is getting and most of them will probably be disappointed (like GAdv receiving a free-spin). A few days later, we'll get our hopes up about some good news about the disappointment (similar to how we thought we were getting the 10 inversion model from S&S). 2017 is just going to be a repeat of this year, except the focus will most likely be on the dueler. We'll get all excited about it near the end, and then we'll come to the realization that we're just going to get a JL dark ride. Which isn't as amazing as you all think (it's good for SF standards, but I don't think because SF management is lazy and cheap that we can cut them some slack. There's no excuse for dirtier areas, lackluster themeing in potentially amazing areas of the park (Golden Kingdom, Plaza), and ride teams that are getting slower and slower at loading trains. No thank you. People keep saying that we didn't get the short end of the stick this year. To be fair, the stick wasn't that long to begin with.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Zash

I get SF is trying to save money, but what was the last custom-coaster they built (that wasn't something like Total Mayhem) or an RMC transformation? I'm talking a coaster like Bizzaro or Nitro that has a drop and loops and all that stuff. I honestly don't see them investing the time or money into a dueler for any year. With how SF operates, they'll probably just throw some flats in OC and call it a day (which is why I'm done purchasing season passes).

I think the term you're looking for is a "traditional coaster"

Here's my prediction for what will happen in 2017: we're all going to talk and talk about a dueler and the JL dark ride (just like how we talked about free-spins, wing-riders, and a giga this year). By mid-august, most of us will have our own ideas as to what the park is getting and most of them will probably be disappointed (like GAdv receiving a free-spin). A few days later, we'll get our hopes up about some good news about the disappointment (similar to how we thought we were getting the 10 inversion model from S&S). 2017 is just going to be a repeat of this year, except the focus will most likely be on the dueler. We'll get all excited about it near the end, and then we'll come to the realization that we're just going to get a JL dark ride. Which isn't as amazing as you all think (it's good for SF standards, but I don't think because SF management is lazy and cheap that we can cut them some slack. There's no excuse for dirtier areas, lackluster themeing in potentially amazing areas of the park (Golden Kingdom, Plaza), and ride teams that are getting slower and slower at loading trains. No thank you. People keep saying that we didn't get the short end of the stick this year. To be fair, the stick wasn't that long to begin with.

EDIT: typo

I'd say that is also a bold statement but you should realize that this has been the only instance where we were excited about a disappointment and were upset by the addition. Since we have no clue what we are getting 2017, everything is an open book. If a certain rumor starts, I'll glad that I will be here to see why that rumor is likely to come true.

I am predicting the parking lot gets repaved. I think this years addition is a good one. I don't care that its a clone. I was never going to get to ride the original anyway and I bet most people are in the same boat. I think that repaving the lot would be a good thing for 2017.

At this point ANYTHING is a possibility for 2017. There could even be something new that comes along that no one has even heard of yet. My logic for the "dueler" comes from Fitzgerald making "dead areas" a priority. The fact that it didn't show up anywhere, and the layout does fit our geography in the "Old Country" perfectly with the Observatory and Station (with some modifications for a little spiral section before the 1st launch). It look's like it was desingned for that area. And with what our Park's history is with "Chiller" and losing "Rolling Thunder". They really wanted "Chiller" to work the way it was designed, and they never quite got it right. Never had the power capacity for the dual launches, dumped million's into removing the "zero-g's", and different resatraint's, and then still had major problem's and just gave up on it. Then year's later we lose our Racer, that was a Park Landmark. WIth this one ride they can rectify the original design of "Chiller" and finally have dual launches, bring back a racer (even though it's not a true racer) and fill that void that was left. Now they didn't spend the time and money of designing it with Premier for nothing even though it was a crude animation. But all those awesome, never seen (interlocking dive loop's, and interlocking immelman's) element's took some time to be designed and get all the g forces right. It just all fits together too nicely, just like everything did this year with "Total Mayhem". All the same "signs" i had this year, are there for this as well. It's just way early and anything can happen along the way and thing's can start to point to something else.

The parking lot getting paved would be a great thing. If they did that I wouldn't even mind if they didn't get anything else that year

I have said this before but I am going to say it again: The next coaster they get MUST be an original coaster with an ORIGINAL layout. I know that the GP really could care less about this and it actually is good to have replicas around the country so people all over can ride a ride like it, but an original idea would bring more money to them because if you are the only park with a coaster like that, people are going to want to come and ride it. But again, it is definitely easier just to add a coaster that already has the same layout as another than trying to figure out a brand new one but let's take a look at SFGadv and their major coasters

Nitro: Multiple other coasters with very similar layout (Diamondback, Apollo's Chariot, +more)

Kingda Ka: TTD has very similar layout, just shorter/slower/no hill
Batman: The Ride: 6 other coasters with same name and layout

Superman: Ultimate Flight: 2 other coasters with same name and layout

Green Lantern: Rougarou is basically a mirror image of GL (but is now a floorless coaster)

The Dark Knight: 2 other coasters with same name and layout

Bizarro: Scream is a mirror image of Bizarro, TDK @ SFNE is very similar

El Diablo: 7 other parks have this ride

Total Mayhem: exact replica of Batman: The Ride at SFFT

*El Toro: Unique layout that no other coaster comes close to even being similar

As I was looking at a few other parks, I couldn't find one that had as many re-used or unoringal coasters as we do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also it is worth noting that a majority of these examples, our coaster opened after at least one of the ones that were either similar or identical.

At this point ANYTHING is a possibility for 2017. There could even be something new that comes along that no one has even heard of yet. My logic for the "dueler" comes from Fitzgerald making "dead areas" a priority. The fact that it didn't show up anywhere, and the layout does fit our geography in the "Old Country" perfectly with the Observatory and Station (with some modifications for a little spiral section before the 1st launch). It look's like it was desingned for that area. And with what our Park's history is with "Chiller" and losing "Rolling Thunder". They really wanted "Chiller" to work the way it was designed, and they never quite got it right. Never had the power capacity for the dual launches, dumped million's into removing the "zero-g's", and different resatraint's, and then still had major problem's and just gave up on it. Then year's later we lose our Racer, that was a Park Landmark. WIth this one ride they can rectify the original design of "Chiller" and finally have dual launches, bring back a racer (even though it's not a true racer) and fill that void that was left. Now they didn't spend the time and money of designing it with Premier for nothing even though it was a crude animation. But all those awesome, never seen (interlocking dive loop's, and interlocking immelman's) element's took some time to be designed and get all the g forces right. It just all fits together too nicely, just like everything did this year with "Total Mayhem". All the same "signs" i had this year, are there for this as well. It's just way early and anything can happen along the way and thing's can start to point to something else.

I definitely agree with you on the geography part, going over free falls old spot behind showcase and back around. Almost like a launched steel version of Twisted Colossus. Batman vs. Superman in Movie town sounds just too perfect!! btw does that movie come out 2016 or 2017?

^^I respectfully disagree with your post. Most rides from specific manufacturers are very similar by nature--it is how that manufacturer designs them. Ever hear of B&M's "cookie cutter" designs? Well, when you have five of them...

Great Adventure has one of the most unique coaster collections in the SF chain. It is certainly not one of the most "re-used" collections as you stated. A few hours south, SFA has not a single coaster that was designed for Six Flags America. Roar is debatable (the first of the two), but every other coaster is either relocated or a clone. Great Adventure is almost the opposite, with only Batman and Superman being clones (of the major coasters. Most wild mouse coasters and kiddie coasters are clones, so you should exclude these).

Nitro was very original at the time, and when you think about it it still technically is unique because the next nearest B&M hyper (I said B&M specifically because Skyrush is a whole 'nother monster altogether) is Apollo's Chariot I believe, which is 5 hours or so away. El Toro is of course unique, but remember that there are a few of the Prefabs overseas. Kingda Ka... yeah, it's extremely similar to TTD, and that's it. Those are the only 2 rides in that category, so it's not really that bad. Plus, they're 9 hours apart. With GL the second half of the layout is far different to Rougarou's, with Rougarou having the more intense and compact second half (NOT a good thing with standup trains) and GL having the more spread out version. Scream and Bizarro are at the opposite ends of the country, plus it's not really too similar to TDK... more elements, different layout, though I see what you're saying. Most B&M layouts/elements are very similar.

Even if Gadv got something unique for 2017, I really think some other park would get something similar and it would no longer be that unique.

I definitely agree with you on the geography part, going over free falls old spot behind showcase and back around. Almost like a launched steel version of Twisted Colossus. Batman vs. Superman in Movie town sounds just too perfect!! btw does that movie come out 2016 or 2017?

BvS comes out in 2016. And the layout is a "mobius", it is very similar to "Twisted Colussus", just instead of overbanked turn's, there are "dive loop's" when the Track's are changing direction's. On the "dueler" even the the "zero-g" roll over the other Track would be along the Parking Lot Fence in the Picnic Grove area somewhere, like the Stall is on Colussus. "Chiller" was Premier's only "failure" when it came to that gen's version's of their LIM Launchers, i'm sure they would love another crack at it in our Park to finally get it right also. The new LIM's use way less power than they did, and the Train's are alot lighter now.

^Premier has gotten a lot better at building coasters since Chiller. They've changed their track style, lightened their trains made them comfortable yet minimal, and switched to LSM's which are far less energy consuming and far more reliable than LIM's are, as well as being more powerful. I'd love to see one at the park

2017:Removal of Bizarro if not renamed for Bonsai pipelines and Boardwalk becomes DC Harbor with removal of twister and everything else not on the alley goes to Dream Street.;2018: Justice League Dark Ride in right stuff; El Diablo moved to Twisters location and themed to flash,2019+2020: All about Movie town becoming Gotham city; remove dark night, retheme showcase to Gotham city theater [adds a show in 2021] (IDK about stunt arena), major flat ride package include Two-Face: the flip side (Riddler's revenge Frisbee clone in Pendulum's old place-2019), remove skeball barn and flip locations of Blackbeard's and Deja Vu [sort of-2019]-Blackbeard to poison Ivy Twister, turn Autobahn into an arcade, Harley Quinn Spincanity in Musik Express location(2020); DC haunted house added for fright fest to chiller area replacing current house there(2020); 2021; I think El Toro would be weak by now and an RMC would be necessary; either for Toro or where Bizzaro is now[an actual new coaster],possible removal of Green Lantern if Six Flags starts removing them like Cedar fair. 2022: add a ride that doesn't exist yet

^Premier has gotten a lot better at building coasters since Chiller. They've changed their track style, lightened their trains made them comfortable yet minimal, and switched to LSM's which are far less energy consuming and far more reliable than LIM's are, as well as being more powerful. I'd love to see one at the park

I'm sure they still have all the spec's for "Chiller's" Station. Premier has perfected there Launch Systems, i love how they can reverse the direction's now. I'll keep en eye out all next season in the "Old Country", but i think there will be activity all over in that area anyway next year. We have a new 150ft Water Tower coming somewhere, and a new Filtration Plant. All those water lines were marked out by the Tower at the start of this season. Would make sense for them to do all the work in one area in one year, it's cheaper. Now that i think about about it, that seems like it could be another thing pointing to it happening. We know that is fact from the Minutes of July's meeting that Matt posted.

I'd say that is also a bold statement but you should realize that this has been the only instance where we were excited about a disappointment and were upset by the addition. Since we have no clue what we are getting 2017, everything is an open book. If a certain rumor starts, I'll glad that I will be here to see why that rumor is likely to come true.

Right now, this thread is talking only about the dueler and the dark right, which doesn't make too much sense. Sure, the park sent out a survey about the dueler but that doesn't mean they're going to go through with it. Most fans wanted the 10-inversion free-spin, but that doesn't mean they got it. Most fans want the dueler, but that doesn't mean we'll get it. Sure, it'd be cool, but with how cheap Six Flags has been these past few years (sans Zu), I don't know if its going to happen.

The dark ride is much more probable and probably what we will end up getting in 2017.

I thought this topic was supposed to be speculation? All im seeing is what everyone wants to come to the park with no given evidence. I'd much rather talk about what were probably gonna get and have discussion on why and how. Just my thoughts though.

I always do "educated speculation", what i would like the Park to get is irrrelavent. Just like what anyone want's the Park to get is irrrelavent. I base all my post's on what makes sense with what's going on in the Park, and the current "trend's" with Six Flags. This year, once i knew the Lakefront stuff was coming down, i wanted a Custom RMC with the Station just about where "Mayhem" will be, with the lift hill going back down the Switlick Driveway. But nothing pointed to that coming. But at least we still will have a crew from RMC at the Park for the "Total Mayhem" build along with the local crew's.

Edited by Railer