VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2017 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I agree that Joker looks like one of the weaker RMC's, but the first few elements look awesome, and the ride still has nearly a dozen airtime moments. It did throw a few elements in that are unique to RMC, like the EGF-style drop and the first barrell roll. The other thing with these conversions is that RMC is limited by the size and space of the existing structure. Give them a blank space and you get the brilliance of Lightning Rod/Wildfire.

Also, through other products they've done almost every crazy element possible. B&M pretty much ran out of elements over a decade ago (except the wing-coaster first drop), yet people here are still clamoring for a wing coaster here. I think that is a big reason the new track style could be huge for RMC. In the next few years we will probably see consumer-fatigue of their current style, so it could allow them to do things that they can't/won't do with topper/I-Box track.

I agree that Joker looks like one of the weaker RMC's, but the first few elements look awesome, and the ride still has nearly a dozen airtime moments. It did throw a few elements in that are unique to RMC, like the EGF-style drop and the first barrell roll. The other thing with these conversions is that RMC is limited by the size and space of the existing structure. Give them a blank space and you get the brilliance of Lightning Rod/Wildfire.

Also, through other products they've done almost every crazy element possible. B&M pretty much ran out of elements over a decade ago (except the wing-coaster first drop), yet people here are still clamoring for a wing coaster here. I think that is a big reason the new track style could be huge for RMC. In the next few years we will probably see consumer-fatigue of their current style, so it could allow them to do things that they can't/won't do with topper/I-Box track.

Of course I'm not looking for another B&M coaster, but that Premier Rides Full Throttle type coaster, or a Gold Striker type roller coaster from GCI is the coaster we are truly missing.

Of course I'm not looking for another B&M coaster, but that Premier Rides Full Throttle type coaster, or a Gold Striker type roller coaster from GCI is the coaster we are truly missing.

I'd love a Premier, but I'd much prefer any form of RMC. I've been on a bunch of Premiers, and while all were great rides, they aren't on RMC's level.

I do agree a GCI woodie is the best fit, but I have 0 faith in SF maintaining it. Even Apocalypse at SFMM has deteriorated pretty quickly from what I hear.

Even Apocalypse at SFMM has deteriorated pretty quickly from what I hear.

that's pretty sad to here considering it isn't THAT old. I am interested to see how sf keeps up with the RMC. Yeah its steel track but the structure is still wood and WILL need work

being the coaster isn't exactly HUGE I would not be surprised if they wait till after holiday in the park has ended to start vertical construction. Given the history of the past few new rides opening, opening the ride on opening day doesn't seem like a goal of SF. They seem to come off recently with the "it will open when it opens" attitude

I think they have been trying for Memorial Day weekend openings on rides since Green Lantern. Before that The Dark Knight opened a couple weeks before Memorial Day and Wiggles World was the last new attraction to open on opening day. I guess it makes sense for the park, encourage season pass sales from those visiting early in the season so they return again to try the new ride.

Well, lets talk about 2017. It's either going to be the new justice league ride, or some type of flat ride. If it was a flat ride, what do you think it could be? It might be another frisbee or a screamin swing

What about all this mess about the single track RMC thing? I really doubt it's coming to SFGADV, they don't need anything like that

Edited by Yoshi
Merged double post

While I think we can expect the dark ride, what's wrong with the idea of the rmc track? I think there's loads of possibilities.

My only fear about the dark ride is six flags horrible past with maintenance. I rode the ride in Texas and while it is fun, its hard to tell what's going on. You never really understand completely what you're shooting at and its a bit corny. Overall it'd still be a great addition as it differs from our collection of rides.

You want to ride a dark ride go to universal, that my opinion. If we do get I see it falling on its face after a season or two. Like you said maintenance and that's not our strong point.

I think the single rail coaster could be cool. Gadv has been a park that has gotten first of a kind coaster before, maybe we are on track to getting another one.

I'm still hoping for a nice classic wood coaster though. We need something to fill the void left with the tear down of rolling thunder

Edited by Mrpq

• 3 weeks later...

I think we might expect a dark ride, we do have indoor rides but they're both coasters. SFGADV is really on the list of the JLBFM in my opinion. I won't be surprised if it happens. I think the next time we'll see the next coaster is 2018 or 2019, and also the crowd has increased from 23mil to 28mil. And total mayhem might bring in a lot of more guests. That'll make their budget increase so they have a higher chance of getting a new coaster sooner

^That attendance number is chainwide. If one park isn't performing, they're not going to invest as heavily into that park.

Six Flags is being extremely conscious of their capital improvements to help get themselves out of the hole they created in the 2000's, and a chainwide attendance increase (which doesn't always correlate to profit increases) isn't going to change their strategy.

• Like 1

^ Yep. They're spending as little as possible to keep people interested. Look at how shabby and unimpressive the new additions are for 2016, and how maintenance and operations have been allowed to deteriorate at most parks. It's not about spending relative to revenue as much as it's about making that profit margin wider, regardless of revenue.

• Like 1

Agreed; as far as CapEx goes it is a smart strategy -- ride rotation, refurbs, and small-scale new additions will draw the GP at a level close to what large, bespoke coasters will, and at a small fraction of the price. Obviously enthusiasts want to see more investment and further envelope-pushing, but that's frequently not good business. That said, I personally think they're repeating too many of Premier's mistakes in terms of cutting operational budgets, but I do see both sides of the equation.

You go back to Premier but why are you skipping over the Red Zone years? During that time you never saw all eight parachutes open or both sides of the Skyride open. Instead you had rides that would close hours before the end of the day and weeks before the end of the season. That was of course unless they weren't shuttered or removed entirely. Operations today are SO much better than the previous management teams.

• Like 1

You go back to Premier but why are you skipping over the Red Zone years? During that time you never saw all eight parachutes open or both sides of the Skyride open. Instead you had rides that would close hours before the end of the day and weeks before the end of the season. That was of course unless they weren't shuttered or removed entirely. Operations today are SO much better than the previous management teams.

I totally agree with what your saying harry, but compared to the other chains, operations are kinda bad. your premier coaster el toro only running with 2 attendats is a joke. especially all the fat obese people in America, it takes them forever to dispatch a train. they really need more employees checking restraints on the coasters, all the coasters.

^^Where did you see that?

Great Adventure used to have attendance around 4 million, nowadays it hovers just below 3 million. It's less so "crowds" and more so "crowd control." Parks need high attendance to survive.

I've seen people say how they sometimes prefer SFA because of its low crowds, but would you rather have SFA's cap-ex budget? The last three years they've had ultra-low budget additions.

2014: Relocated mouse/flyers/fresh paint... $2 million

2015: Super Loop... $1 million

2016: Water play structure... $1 million

vs. Great Adventure...

2014: Zumanjaro... $10 million

2015: Super Loop... $1 million

2016: Total Mayhem... $8 million

The numbers speak for themselves.

Edited by Password121