VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

I agree, they should have done more. I liked seeing the statues throughout the parks but those are likely leaving and you needed a Magic Band + to be able to track them and have them play a sound clip. The focus seemed to be on a lot of limited time food offerings.

The merchandise was somewhat lacking. I collect baseballs and I didn't even know there was going to be a 50th anniversary baseball until I saw it in Hollywood Studios as part of the last wave of the merchandise a few weeks ago. It's frustrating they released it in waves when someone taking a trip every few years or less may not have been able to get something they wanted.

I remember for the 15th anniversary, they was a contest where every ticket entry had a chance to win a prize.

https://destdisney.blogspot.com/2009/09/wdw-15th-anniversary-prizes.html

Even though I didn't win a prize, I remember it was fun to enter the parks each day and see if you won something. Even if they gave away Lightning Lane entries as prizes that would have cost them nothing, it would have been something to promote.

• Like 2

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-disney-new-reedy-creek-board-powerless-20230329-qalagcs4wjfe3iwkpzjsz2v4qm-story.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Gov. Ron DeSantis’ handpicked board overseeing Disney World’s government services is gearing up for a potential legal battle over a 30-year development agreement they say effectively renders them powerless to manage the entertainment giant’s future growth in Central Florida.

Ahead of an expected state takeover, the Walt Disney Co. quietly pushed through the pact and restrictive covenants that would tie the hands of future board members for decades, according to a legal presentation by the district’s lawyers on Wednesday.

Among other things, a “declaration of restrictive covenants” spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England living as of the date of this declaration,” if it is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, according to the document.

jjexg6z98rqa1.jpg

$35 for Genie Plus, $20 for Tron Individual Lightning Lane (if you can get it), 7DMT is I think $11, if the cost wasn't raised for this week. That's $66 a person. 

Waits look bad but not horrible for this time of year, 40 minutes for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 45 for Haunted Mansion, 65 for Space Mountain that wouldn't seem like Genie + should be so expensive given the crowds and wait times and that's not even factoring in the usually over inflated wait times.

They just know he's a better choice than Chapek, but he's the reason why Chapek was there. The COMPANY flourished under Iger which is all the stockholders care about. The parks declined. 

An interesting point about Iger saying they are spending $17 billion over the next ten years at WDW is he didn't say in capital improvements. A former Imagineer pointed out that may also include normal operating expenses. 

21 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

They just know he's a better choice than Chapek, but he's the reason why Chapek was there. The COMPANY flourished under Iger which is all the stockholders care about. The parks declined. 

An interesting point about Iger saying they are spending $17 billion over the next ten years at WDW is he didn't say in capital improvements. A former Imagineer pointed out that may also include normal operating expenses. 

Problem is, he is only better by amount that can only be measured by a Delta value. Its like saying a sandwich sitting in the sun for two days is better than one sitting in the sun for three days. Neither are any good. 

The big problems with Iger is that he has a massive ego, a huge mouth, and is pretty full of himself. The recent shareholder meeting was a complete crapshow that he bungled badly. Worse yet, his slip of the tongue during the meeting potentially revealing that Disney may have been misappropriating Reddy Creek government's bonds can expose the company to charges of securities fraud and bond repayment. The company once flourished under Iger, but it many sink under him too as he is making bad decision after bad decision since his return. The studio isn't doing well either with the fact that Iger

has sunk the Star Wars IP, the MCU is in rapid decline, and a string of flops like Lightyear and Strange Worlds are not painting a rosy future. Then there are the 7,000 employee layoffs which isn't a sign of a heathly business.     

Edited by The Master

• 4 months later...

the rumors are that the Frontierland part of magic kingdom will be split into New Orleans & the new Frontierland (New Orleans will have princess and the frog ride & country bears while the new Frontierland will have big thunder mountain)

Edited by harry2004

• 1 month later...

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/ticket-annual-pass---disney-incredi-pass/news/11oct2023-disney-hikes-up-the-cost-of-walt-disney-world-annual-passes.htm

There were some price increases.

Parking at Disney World is now up from $25 a day to $30 a day. $30 is also what SeaWorld and Busch Gardens charge for standard parking.

All 4 annual passes increased $30 - $50 after a similar increase last year on all but the Pixie Dust Pass (weekday only). I'm glad that I renewed a few weeks ago before the increase. Initially the Pirate Pass was $699, then I paid $595 with the renewal discount last year and with the past increase it was $638 last month. Now that pass would cost $679 with the discount, $799 without the renewal discount.

I rarely eat in the parks now because of the prices. I usually stop at Wawa (just like I used to after Great Adventure before the dining pass) or somewhere else that is low priced on the way home. Spending $12 - $15 for just an entree at counter service adds up fast with frequent visits and I'd rather use that money towards a table service meal a few times a year instead. I know most people on vacation don't have that option or don't want to be bothered bringing food with them.

• 3 months later...

It has been anounced that the Splash Mountain makeover will see a big reduction in the number of animatrionics in the ride which is a shame. Disney will probably replace many of them with projection effects. 

There is also the debacle of the new plaza over in Epcot. The fancy new lighting failing within a couple of day because of too high pressure washing and the general disappointment from guess over the design. Disney probably should have kept the fountain IMO.  

Edited by The Master

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they want to reduce the animatronics. On the current rides that have them, it seems like there has been a decline in upkeep with some missing from rides for months at a time and others not having any motion repeatedly.

It also seems like there are a lot more breakdowns than I remember in past years. Almost every visit to a park, a ride I want to go to or am in line for breaks down. On Thursday night, it was Spaceship Earth closing at 8 pm and never re-opening. At Hollywood Studios 2 weeks ago, it was Runaway Railway breaking down when I was in the pre-show room.

14 hours ago, Yoshi said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they want to reduce the animatronics. On the current rides that have them, it seems like there has been a decline in upkeep with some missing from rides for months at a time and others not having any motion repeatedly.

It also seems like there are a lot more breakdowns than I remember in past years. Almost every visit to a park, a ride I want to go to or am in line for breaks down. On Thursday night, it was Spaceship Earth closing at 8 pm and never re-opening. At Hollywood Studios 2 weeks ago, it was Runaway Railway breaking down when I was in the pre-show room.

Some of the Youtube outlets have said Disney has been cutting back their maintance budgets as well as spending money on PC changes to rides instead of proper repairs and refurbishments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blizzard Beach's lot was full today. I turned right around and went to Epcot instead. Even parking at Coronado Springs, I can't imagine what the lines must have been like. With the cooler temperatures this winter, I guess everyone was waiting for a warm day to visit.

I also would like to see Blizzard Beach open more of the year, the past 2 years it has opened in November and then closed again in March. I only managed to get there once so far since it re-opened.

Probably 45 minutes or more for the more popular slides like Summit Plummet and Downhill Double Dipper. The chairlift probably was just as bad. So many slides there have 100+ steps to the top where taking the chairlift helps when going on 10 or more slides a day. My favorite slides in the back of the park, Runoff Rapids are around 125 steps to the top.

I'm glad they are not using projection mapping on the faces like on Frozen Ever After.

I also hope that with the ride opening this summer, maybe it will be on a virtual queue and Tron will be taken off and have a regular line. I rarely get to the park early enough to get a boarding group.

Its nice they aren't using a projection face but the Tiana AA looks a little off model, like she is aged up into her 40's.  

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...

Test Track is closing June 17th for a re-theme:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/test-track/

I'm hoping the new theme will be better and more like the original. It's still my favorite ride at Epcot but I don't like the current version as much with the blue lights everywhere and not much else.