VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

The airlines have been disgusting for decades, they don't even keep any cleaning supplies onboard for mid flight spills. In a post COVID19 world, they are going to have to clean up their act which means the airlines will also increase fares. 

As for the Disney parks, they have been cutting back cleaning for years, and now its going to bite them. Raising prices will further help to keep people away along with virus scares. 

Anyone remember the fake walk through sanitation booths in the queue of the old Body Wars ride? Now the parks will need real ones at the gate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Disney has announced they have cancelled Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party and H20 Glow Nights. Wonder if other parks will also cancel their Halloween events? Perhaps Christmas events too? I can't see indoor haunted mazes being able to operate in a post COVID 19 world, especially Universal's HHN with lines so long that they are scarier than the mazes themselves and the solid chain of nonpulsed guests walking through the mazes. 

Edited by The Master

With HHN, guests pack in tight inside those haunted houses besides the performers and line managers. They don't even pulse the lines like local parks do, its a solid tightly packed chain through the house. It would be highly difficult to make guests stay 6 feet apart, especially when they are drunk. HHN and other holiday events will likely have big changes. 

I remember back years ago, Mickey's Halloween Party used to have alot more stuff than it had in recent years. Such as spooky riverboat rides and castmember Jackolantern displays. 

I would assume just like the parks are running at diminished capacity, HHN would also run at diminished capacity, and probably have more outdoor scare zones and fewer houses. I still wouldn't be surprised to see HHN get cancelled. 

Disney is doing Cast Member previews 

• July 7 & 8: Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park
  • July 13 & 14: Disney’s Hollywood Studios and EPCOT

It will be interesting to see what the changes are in the parks. 

17 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

I am disappointed with that too, I think more people would rather have Splash Mountain over the people who are offended by talking animals from the south. 😑

People aren't offended by talking animals, they are offended by racist tropes of happy slaves which is what is depicted in Song of the South. Disney knew this was problematic for years which is why the movie isn't available. 

Splash Mountain is a great ride, but it's based on a racist movie. 

In an ideal world Princess and the Frog would get its own attraction rather than replacing another, but Disney today is all about re-purposing existing attractions to save money and make them more relevant (and sell more merchandise). Faster and cheaper is the Chapek way. This is something where it never should have been made an attraction because of it's troubled history.  

Honestly, theming a ride after Song of the South wasn't the smartest move in hindsight. If Disney is so hellbent on making people forget about that movie, basing an E ticket off of it is counterintuitive. 

41 minutes ago, MarioSonic94 said:

Honestly, theming a ride after Song of the South wasn't the smartest move in hindsight. If Disney is so hellbent on making people forget about that movie, basing an E ticket off of it is counterintuitive. 

Disney wasn't trying to have people forget the movie when it was initially proposed.  The ride was designed in the late '80s when Song of the South was still on Disney's rotation for playing in movie theaters.  It was last shown in 1986.  The ride has been entertaining guests for decades.  Looks like people will have to go to Tokyo Disneyland to get the Splash Mountain experience.

Splash Mountain will still be running for the foreseeable future. Their statement was it will re-open with the parks and close for retheming when it has been determined by Operations, which means it will probably run at least through this Christmas. Chances are it will remain longer than that because despite their saying this has been in the works for a year and a half, that's a short time period for a Disney attraction and most likely this was quickly greenlit but no fabrication or other preparation has begun, so it could be two years or more before it happens. 

I didn't even realize Splash Mountain was themed after Song of the South (though I will admit I have not been to Disney in a long time). I know that the ride is a favorite among many and people are disappointed, but it's definitely the right move. There's no reason to have a racist movie normalized in ways like this. The ride itself is still going to be the same, just the theme is changing. It's honestly surprising this move wasn't made earlier. 

Song of the South debuted in 1946 and was rereleased multiple times with the last being in 1986.  For those unfamiliar with Disney movies in the early days, they used to re-release their movies every several years so that new generations could view them.  VHS and DVDs and Blu-ray‘s made that process obsolete.  

18 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I can’t help but think we will soon be picking apart It’s a Small World and replacing and removing dolls from various countries because they are viewed as being offensive to their native people.  

You're not wrong at all, I think people will feel that way. That will be very interesting when the time comes since the whole point of the attraction was to represent children of the world and bringing people together to accept our differences. That's a very positive message. I would have a hard time imagining how that message would survive in the attraction, or if it would at all, if we have to change the way we represent different cultures. What would that new way look like? Would it still make for an attraction that children can understand?

I would be interested in seeing what Imagineers would come up with if it was deemed necessary, but at face value I'm not sure I think it's a good idea. But I could be wrong and invite opposing opinions.

Edited by ThemeParkRider

My feeling is that the Splash Mt retheme will be done on the cheap like with thd DCA Tower of Terror retheme to Guardians. Most of the same stuff is still there, just different paint and a few items tacked on. 

In other news, Disneyland's reopening on July 17th has been postponed.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...

Rivers of Light, Primeval Whirl and Stitch's Great Escape are permanently closed

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disney-confirms-permanent-closure-of-primeval-whirl-rivers-of-light-stitchs-great-escape/

I guess I should have tried to get the left side credit of Primeval Whirl on a past trip, I always got the right track usually because of FastPass or if only that side was running.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...