VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Parks News

29yrswithaGApass

Also seems a lot more like The 5th Element than Star Wars too, the whole battle onboard a space cruise ship with an female alien singer. Through to be a bit fair to Disney, the CIS in the prequels did use touch screens on their ships. 

• 3 weeks later...

Its odd the Starcruiser hotel wasn't mentioned during the Disney parks Christmas special. Supposedly many of the reservations for it have already been cancelled. It could very well end up as a boondoggle.

In other news, Screamscape reported that the Lightning Lane prices rose 150% for rides in DCA during Christmas week. The Disney parks are not worth this new BS IMHO. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I think this is a mild improvement over Chapek, but I'm really not of the opinion that Iger was ever any type of godsend for the company either.  In fact, I think he is the brainchild behind the exploitation of the company's newer intellectual property and cloning of attractions at the expense of new attractions for the domestic parks that are truly innovative and unique.  Notice Tokyo Disneyland, which generally does not purchase attractions that are simply clones of attractions from other Disney parks.  Disney has no financial interest in this property and it routinely gets ratings stronger than the other Disney properties everywhere.

• Like 2

Stock value and the “Disney experience” both suffered severely under Chapek compared to Iger.  The stock lost half its value since its all time high and a park visit has changed from an enjoyable experience to an over priced nickel and dime ordeal.  Iger isn’t perfect but I have much more faith in him. 

• Like 1

Iger is the lesser of the two evils, but Chapek was a symptom of Disney's problems, not the cause of them. He didn't do anything to fix them and made them worse, but there are problems with the Disney corporation that need to be addressed by the CEO and all of management. Unfortunately Iger is back to help with stock price and not necessarily fix anything, and was the cause of many of the problems to start with, including choosing Chapek to succeed him. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Space Mountain no longer allows unsecured loose articles while riding. I'm kind of surprised it took Disney this long to have policies like this considering they are one of the few (only?) park operators that allowed people to use cell phone cameras and non Go Pro type cameras on coasters. They have these signs out at the entrance that I saw yesterday

Space1.thumb.jpeg.c7a15f8c1a1824ce2f69aa5102ec1aec.jpeg

• Like 1

I have always been amazed that Disney allows videotaping on rides, especially since they are so anal with their copyrights.  I remember going on Indiana Jones in Disneyland shortly after it opened with a pretty good size video camera for the 1990s.  I expected the ride op to tell me I couldn’t take it on board but instead all she said was don’t hold the eyepiece up to my eye. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/hollywood-studios/rock-and-roller-coaster-starring-aerosmith/

Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster is closing in February for refurbishment and not reopening until summer.  

I know it’s unlikely to happen but I would like to see them reconfigure the single rider line where it bypasses the pre-show. There is no way to see how long the line is before waiting in line for the pre-show, watching it and then getting to the line near the loading area only to see it will take almost as long as the standby wait. 

Some rides seem to have better single rider lines than others. Test Track is one of the best with the 3 seats in each row. Most of the time I wait 5 - 10 minutes, there have been a few times when is no one waiting in the single rider line. The longest I have waited not counting any breakdowns was 20 minutes once. I usually had good luck in the past with Expedition Everest's as well with it hidden away from the main entrance (I don't know if it's still low waits or not as I haven't ridden it since the single rider line reopened).

I only would use Green Lantern's single rider line if the wait wasn't past the entrance otherwise it didn't seem to save much time.

It seems single rider lines generally work better on rides with rows that hold odd number of riders. With even number rider capacity rows, single rider lines just crawl. Most groups of people are usually an even number, mostly 2s and 4s. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/01/top-4-things-to-know-before-tron-lightcycle-run-opens-on-4-4/?CMP=SOC-DPFY23Q2wo0126230001H

As expected Tron will use a virtual queue system.

There are mandatory lockers similar to VelociCoaster at Universal but small items like phones, glasses and wallets can still be taken on the train and stored in a pouch on the ride.

• 1 month later...

It's interesting to see Iger saying the company was "too aggressive" with price increases but not rolling them back or doing anything to adjust with a better product. So he gets credit with fans for admitting to an issue, but still reaps the benefits because his hand picked successor screwed up. 

Iger did some good things for Disney, but overall he was the cause of most of the company's issues.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Disney is heavily in debt because of Disney+ and all their acquisitions, and is contractually obligated to buy out Comcast's stake in Hulu for at least $9 billion.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/comcast-happy-to-sell-hulu-stake-to-disney-deal-deadline-looms-says-other-options-must-be-better-1235282654/

Meanwhile they've cut spending on the parks which have been returning huge profits, so there's really nothing NEW in the pipeline for WDW while Universal is opening a brand new park in 2025. 

• Like 1

Disney will never roll the prices back down because they know there are enough people willing to pay, its why Disney calls its customers pay pigs. Iger admiting the excessive prices is just subterfuge to shut down complaints about high prices. . 

• Like 1

Prices have been going up everywhere in the parks, even multiple increases in not that much time. I looked at a meal I used to get at Hollywood Studios, it's increased 2 or 3 times in price since October 2021. I can avoid spending money in the parks for the most part, but for people on vacation, that is tough especially if they are in the parks during lunch and dinner times. I'm expecting at some point they will stop allowing outside food and drinks to be brought into the park.

I saw the other day Rise of the Resistance Individual Lightning Lane was $22. If Genie + was $29 that day too, that's $51 a person extra and Hollywood Studios usually runs out of return times fast. It's 3:15 and  looking at the app, the only ride with any return times left with over 6 hours until closing is Star Tours.

19 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Prices have been going up everywhere in the parks, even multiple increases in not that much time. I looked at a meal I used to get at Hollywood Studios, it's increased 2 or 3 times in price since October 2021. I can avoid spending money in the parks for the most part, but for people on vacation, that is tough especially if they are in the parks during lunch and dinner times. I'm expecting at some point they will stop allowing outside food and drinks to be brought into the park.

I saw the other day Rise of the Resistance Individual Lightning Lane was $22. If Genie + was $29 that day too, that's $51 a person extra and Hollywood Studios usually runs out of return times fast. It's 3:15 and  looking at the app, the only ride with any return times left with over 6 hours until closing is Star Tours.

Ugg, this is why I have lost all desire to visit Disney parks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hate how Disney totally blew WDW’s 50th anniversary.   It was done on the cheap and felt that way throughout the resort.   Their 25th celebration back 1996 was SO much better.  The entire resort felt like a huge party back then and really had guests wrapped up in the excitement.  Whoever thought that iridescent coloring would be enough to mark the 50th was mistaken.  

• Like 2