VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jersey Devil Coaster - Now Open!

29yrswithaGApass

As of today, November 10, 2019, we have a new update on the map, information courtesy of @EasternThrills. I encourage you to check out the newest @insidegadv Instagram post going up in just a few short minutes! In this latest map, we have 4 new stakes that have arrived numbered 1-4; they may just be some early signs of footers/vertical construction beginning soon! Enjoy!

As of the following day, November 11, more trees have been cleared around the access roads and a wall of small dirt piles have been added around the work site, most likely for electrical work. Speaking of electrical, the electrical conduit PVC pipes have been attached to a fork and will be transported elsewhere on the site throughout the week. Likewise, several other pieces of construction equipment such as flat bed trucks have arrived on site. Expect some electrical work and more stakes to be on site by the coming weekend!

EDIT: my upload function is not working for some reason, as the files are not available to other forum members. You can find the updated maps further down this forum posted by @EasternThrills. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 1

Ever since I was little my family spent a good part of our summers vacationing in south Jersey and I learned of the legend of the Jersey Devil very early on in my life being this creature supposedly lurked in the area close to where we were staying.  I've had several postcards for years of the JD which we purchased in a small gift shop in Smithville - the town closest to Leeds Point where he was supposedly "born".  Here are those old cards as well as some info about the Jersey Devil.

large.1384270633_JERSEY_DEVIL_5copy.jpg.

large.1794275880_JERSEY_DEVIL_4copy.jpg.

JERSEY_DEVIL_1 copy.jpg

JERSEY_DEVIL_2 copy.jpg

JERSEY_DEVIL_3 copy.jpg

• Like 3

In other news, we have an interesting report regarding the (supposed) start of vertical construction from JERSEY DEVIL COASTER (via @east_custom_coasters)

From what I've gathered, SUPPOSEDLY:

East Custom Coasters was at the park yesterday taking photos of the construction site when a couple of workers from Maser Consulting (the group working in conjunction with Six Flags on this new coaster project) saw him snapping some pictures of the site and asked him if he was excited for the upcoming ride. ECC then asked the workers if they knew "by any chance when we're going vertical." The workers replied with the date of November 30th, however, they did not identify specifically what this beginning of "vertical construction" would entail. ECC also claims that the workers had clipboards; to which he could not make out what was on the clipboards since they were "by [their] chests almost knowing I [would] look." 

Based on recent happenings around the site, I think this date is plausible for vertical construction to begin, especially at the rate that these crews are moving. With markers already showing up for potential footers, who knows what the next few weeks hold at the site...

1 hour ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Ever since I was little my family spent a good part of our summers vacationing in south Jersey and I learned of the legend of the Jersey Devil very early on in my life being this creature supposedly lurked in the area close to where we were staying.  I've had several postcards for years of the JD which we purchased in a small gift shop in Smithville - the town closest to Leeds Point where he was supposedly "born".  Here are those old cards as well as some info about the Jersey Devil.

large.1384270633_JERSEY_DEVIL_5copy.jpg.

large.1794275880_JERSEY_DEVIL_4copy.jpg.

JERSEY_DEVIL_1 copy.jpg

JERSEY_DEVIL_2 copy.jpg

JERSEY_DEVIL_3 copy.jpg

That’s amazing! I hope they put up things like this in the Queue line to inform riders about the Jersey Devil and the history of it! 

11 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It would be really cool if they made the station to look like the Leeds' house above!

That would be so cool! It’s also not too elaborate of a theming piece, so it would not be too extensive or sophisticated to construct! I think it would be a really nice touch. 

2 hours ago, Six Flags FUN! said:

One big problem for Jersey Devil Coaster construction in the winter starting December-March. Could the snow could affect JDC construction during winter storm between January, February and March? Will they will start vertical and build tracks soon?

Snow and extreme winter weather conditions almost always impact what can be done on site, also depending on the severity of the weather and the intensity of snowfall. While snow and ice may introduce setbacks to the original deadlines, they can be overcome and crews can resume normal construction. Even though the supposed start of vertical construction is on the 30th, I have a feeling we won’t see footers until January, most likely after the 2019 operating season has come to a close. Starting on the 30th only gives crews so much time (I don’t believe they work park operating days or holidays), and December only allows crews to do so much. 

If vertical construction begins on the 30th, it will probably kick off with some more minor construction, like pathway and footing molds or above-ground electrical work. By the time the 2019 operating season is over, that is most likely to be when crews begin pouring footers, pathways, and any service line work begins to wrap up. Throughout the remainder of the timeline for construction, crews will most likely be working on both the coaster itself and the surrounding area simultaneously.  

Regarding track, again, I believe footings will be mostly poured come either the end of January or early-mid February. By then, track and support shipments will most likely begin to arrive and they can start being erected. Given that, I think that the coaster itself (footings, track, supports, etc.) will be in place by mid April to late April at the latest. However, at the rate that crews are moving, I think we can expect the coaster’s vertical construction to be completed by early April or even late March (if they can really speed it up), around the opening of the 2020 season. 

15 minutes ago, Medusa42 said:

From the press release: "Jersey Devil Coaster will debut in the summer of 2020."

Summer 2020 begins June 20th and ends September 22nd.

That is true...however, let's say the coaster is fully built by late April. Testing can begin soon after while crews put the finishing touches on the surrounding area (queue line, exit ramp, theming, photo buildings, restrooms, etc.) and the ride should have no problem opening by the time summer rolls around. The park may even be able to open it early, all things considered.

Advertising a summer opening date gives the park some breathing room given there are some delays (which are inevitable) and some slower moving days on the site. Essentially, it is a "safe bet" for the park even though the ride will most likely be in operation by then. If the park were to advertise for a Memorial Day Weekend opening, for example, and the ride isn't ready by then, guests will be ultimately disappointed and that wouldn't give the park many good looks. It is a smarter, safer option to avoid guest dissatisfaction and the park not being able to stay true to their word. While a summer 2020 opening date is most likely (around June 20th, the official start of summer), it is still plausible that the ride may open earlier or later as the park sees fit. Given the delays for JERSEY DEVIL COASTER are not overly significant, either, an opening date around mid-May to late June is more than a sure gamble.

@XENITH tried posting the most recent maps but his upload function isn’t working and the files are unavailable to anybody outside of his account. He really wanted to present the most recent findings so he commissioned me to post them for him. The two maps are posted below. More maps to come next weekend for the first few days of Holiday in the Park!

0CDCDF96-9D1D-46F2-AC6A-3313AD2E4265.png

431469BA-AC7E-48AF-B370-54344ED255CD.png

In addition to the aerial site maps I am creating, I have decided to make a vertical construction map from a side profile. I figured that the aerial map wouldn’t do the vertical construction progress justice in that it would be a lot more helpful to view it from a different perspective. There’s certain details you can’t capture from the aerial maps, and I think the side profiles do just that in delivering what the aerial maps do not. The map I have attached below is not yet finished but this is just a sample of what you could expect to see from these maps. Ignore the screwed up key on the bottom too, by the way. 

What I am planning on doing with this is, like the aerial maps, updating it every time new information comes out. With this map, I am currently working on building the entire coaster from footer to track first and then turning off all of the layers. As construction progresses, I will turn the layers back on to reveal the actual piece that was constructed. Since I built the track and supports in larger pieces, I will mask out (temporarily remove) the pieces that have not yet been placed and then unmask them (enable the masked piece again) to reveal the full piece. 

The top portion of this map only displays from the start of the lift to the top of the stall and cuts off. To the right of the key and below the main graphic, I will continue the rest of the ride with the exit of the stall, turn around, brake run, transfer, and station. 

If you have any additional questions, please let me know! Thank you and enjoy. 

67BFE2F5-2B91-41FF-AEAD-E81277D53E4D.png

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Medusa42 said:

I don't think the bathrooms are in the way.  They will probably connect to the new plaza/path for Jersey Devil Coaster.

Not to mention that those are some of the best bathrooms in the park. Also removing them would mean that the closest bathrooms in that area would be the bathrooms by Batman, which is a decent bit away. 

• Like 3