VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Medusa - Changes in the works

While nothing has been "officially" announced about Medusa, let's look at the evidence and what seems to be happening.

- Medusa has suffered from lower attendance numbers lately

- As a result, the ride's operating hours have been reduced - opening at noon instead of 10:30 like the rest of the park's coasters.

- Several other Six Flags parks have completed or announced "upgraded" versions of coasters - X2 at Magic Mountain and Superman at SFNE. It is much less expensive than installing a major new coaster.

- Medusa more than any other Great Adventure coaster is in need of a paint job.

- No plans have been submitted to date to the Jackson Township Planning Board meaning no major construction is on target at least for the very near future.

- The Spider of Doom has landed on Medusa. Historically we know that the spider is sort of the park's way of toying with its guests - saying something without really saying something.

I think we will be hearing an announcement really soon! ;)

gallery_2_4_280048.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medusa is one of my favorite Coaster's, and an upgrade will be a good thing for it. There are lot's of "low point's" on the course so adding a few tunnel's can be done easily. I just hope they keep the Floorless Train's, It was a first of it's kind because of it's Train's. I like Medusa just the way it is, but it's popularity has faded alot, so this can breathe new life into it.

I don't think the lower attendance problem is becuase the ride is unpopular. When I went on Medusa during Fright Fest '07, all the switchbacks were full and during the day, the line extended far from the switchbacks. Though I am hoping , no, praying that they don't remove it, I am hoping that they give it an upgrade. They should add tunnels and rename it Viper: The Revenge.

Edited by MarioSonic94

I hope they are just retheming Medusa to fit into the Wild west theme more. Medusa should not be removed. If you need to remove something, take out a shop or something or, sad to say, a flat.... On second thought, take out Medusa and put it up for sale. I'd much rather have it in my backyard ;)

I am rather indifferent on this, and I think it's only because the last couple of years Medusa is a ride that really seems to batter me around for some reason. I hope they don't take it out because it is a nice coaster, but I am not sure if the design of the ride would really hamper some of the types of updates other coasters could receive. I would not want to see the floorless design go if another train was brought it, so it seems the options could be limited. Then again an update could include things we would not think of so who knows. I guess this starts to waiting game again to see what, if anything happens to Medusa, or anything else in the park. :)

The ride is due for a repaint and overall rehab (it is 10 years old next season), so it would be very logical to "plus" the ride while they do all the other things that need doing. I just keep picturing the interlocking corkscrews being inside a tunnel with lighting...it would be very disorienting.

The ride is due for a repaint and overall rehab (it is 10 years old next season), so it would be very logical to "plus" the ride while they do all the other things that need doing. I just keep picturing the interlocking corkscrews being inside a tunnel with lighting...it would be very disorienting.

That would be an interesting idea to see done. If Medusa gets an overhaul I am interested to see how much really goes into it and how creative the engineering can get.

I was thinking about this last night. I was hearing rumors from friends and employees that I ride will be getting re-done. And it will be a ride that does not belong in the section. So I was thinking Superman..., but Medusa makes alot more sence!

I say just replace the sign with Viper's old sign and rename it :P

I really hope they keep the same colors. I hope they don't paint it red and black or something like that which they did to X^2. I can definitely see them adding tunnels and effects to the ride. I would like to see if they did get new trains they add music like X^2 but most important keep it floorless still.

When I went to the park a few weeks back I was shocked at how faded Medusa's paint was. I agree that to "plus" the ride would be a good thing. I hope they only add to it and not remove any of it's identifying elements. It is one of my favorite coasters.

I'd like to see them theme the ride to the section of the park that it's in. I never understood a green and purple coaster called Medusa in the western section of the park.

The station is semi-themed as Medusa Mine. Still I wonder why they choose Medusa, now Medusa does have a twin also named Medusa out in SFDK in CA so maybe SF was planning both at the same time but SFGAdv's was built first.

I guess I'm in the minority here with Medusa. I have always loved the theme(or lack there of) and especially the colors. When those colors were brand new and unfaded, the track and supports just popped out at you. I have never had an issue with the minimal theming. The name and the theme always seemed to work for me. With this said, I don't disagree that they can find ways to plus the ride or re-work it. I do hope that atleast the name remains the same. Medusa was used during a time when it felt like Six Flags wasn't being too original with ride names.

Just some thoughts...

Pete

From what I remember about some literature about Medusa is that is themed after a mine. The miners dug deep enough to actually find Medusa herself and had to flee the mine or be turned to stone.

I like that story and I think a new paint job would help the ride as well as some tunneling.

BTW, what does "plus" the ride mean?

Medusa Mining Company. At least they did a little Themeing on the front side on the Station. As for a new name, any Snake name would fit the rest of the area, but I hope they come up with something more original. I always thought Medusa was a good Coaster name, but it did not fit with that side of the Park. If they do change the name, maybe someday it will come back on another attraction.

When I was working in that section of the park when Medusa was built, I was quite confused how Green and Purple coaster called Medusa fit into a section themed for the wild west with prominent colors of Brown and Orange. But I must admit, it has grown on me and I would not like to see the name or colors change.

I think some tunneling themed to look like mine shafts would do well, possibly with there being some portrayal of Medusa herself as the riders get close to the exit of the tunnel.

I think the dive loop should lead into a tunnel. Also after the mid section break they sgould tunnel that helix.