VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Introduce Yourself!

GAcoaster

• 4 weeks later...

Wow i haven't even heard of this til now. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Im Andrew from florence, nj. Been visiting great adventure pretty much all 18 years of my life. i have pics of me in a stroller at 1 w bugs bunny. i gotta find that pic. but I've always had a love for an amusement parks but great adventures just had that special place in my heart my whole life. its always the place to go to when you want to escape reality for a day. If i could create a lifetime job that revolved around this park i would do it in a heartbeat. and so im grateful for Tom and Harry for creating this site. Brings back memories and i love researching things about the park before my time and seeing how far GA has come. so keep up the good work guys. Here's to another decade of fun and plenty more after!

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Great site. I worked at Great Adventure from 1983 to 1988. 5 years in Games and 1 year in Rides. Pretty much worked every game in the park at that time. When I was in rides, I mostly worked the Scrambler, Matterhorn, Little Wheel and once in a while Lightning Loops. I remember that since I was not a regular on Lightning Loops, I was only certified to be a loader which was a pretty boring job. My infamous rides moment was when I turned the Little Wheel into a thrill ride! Most of the riders on the Little Wheel were people who were not exactly thrill seekers and were looking for a nice quiet ride to get a view of the park. It was raining one day early in the season and I was working the Little Wheel by myself. When it started to rain, the area supervisor shut down the ride. About an hour later, it had stopped raining and I was told to open the ride again. There were only a couple things you needed to know to operate the ride. First, you had to balance the cars. You had to estimate the weight of the people you put on one section of the wheel and make sure that you loaded the cars directly opposite with about the same amount of weight. Thats why there were colored cars so that I knew if I loaded the yellow cars, I needed to load the blue cars which were exactly opposite on the wheel from the yellow cars. The second thing you needed to do to operate was to get comfortable with the lever that made the wheel turn. If you moved it too quickly it would either start or stop real fast. Took a while to get the feel of it.. The wheel itself was spun by a couple of what looked like car tires turning in opposite directions. The speed of these tires was controlled by the operating lever.

Well, no one told me it was a good idea to run the ride without passengers until the tires were dry. So, I load the first 2 or 3 cars with some pretty big guys and gals. Start the ride and the wheel turns so their cars are at or pretty near the top. Now to load the cars at the bottom. Still remember almost 30 years later that I had a group of 5 women who must have been in their 60's or 70's. Thought to myself that the weight distribution wasn't perfect but it was okay. So I loaded them in their cars and turned the wheel on. Wheel starts to move forward and then I hear the loudest, ear piercing noise I've ever heard AND the wheel starts spinning backwards!! What was happening was that the tires driving the wheel were wet AND I had an unbalanced wheel (too much weight near the top). So the wet tires were getting no traction against each other and were spinning the wrong way! You should hear the noise that rubber on rubber makes!! I immediately shut the wheel off and try again. Same thing! Horrible noise and wheel is spinning backwards. Gravity is bringing the heavier guys down and lifting the lighter women up. I've got no control over the ride and the women can tell this. They start screaming, I stop the ride and next thing I know I have the area supervisor there who heard the noise all the way on the other side of our rides area! Guess I was not the first person to do this, but there is no solution other than to let the wheel spin backward until you can get the heavier people to the bottom and off the ride. The whole time the wheel is making this horrible noise. Never felt so bad in my life as I did that day for those woman. I'm pretty sure these women never went on another ride and I'm to blame for that!!

Had some great times working there and still tell stories about the park to my friends today! Wish I hadn't thrown away the pictures of me wearing those beautiful green pants and striped shirt that was the "wardrobe" for games.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to drop in and give a BIG THANK YOU! to all involved here. I have been a lurker for a few years now. Growing up in Jackson in the 70-80's I spent more time at GA then at home sometimes. Although I never worked there (mostly cause I didn't want to have to call somewhere I liked to much work) I learned every nook of the park. I was a season pass holder from early 80's till 1991 or so.

But Never returned to the park until 2008 as the father of twin 4 year olds. It was like returning home. It brought back soo many memories which lead me here to this fine site. Now my 8 year old son is obsessed with all things Great Adventure. I mean his art projects in school are GA based, the only book he wants to read is his GA book, He wants a vintage T shirt from the park. And probably spends more time here looking at GA history then watching TV or riding his go cart.

So once again thanks for this great site!!!

Edited by Switlik Property

Hello, I'm Shelby! This will be my second year in rides, having started last year at Skull Mountain. I spent a majority of my time there though also worked Rolling Thunder, Safari Tours, and Jumpin' Joey. This year, I'll be at Skull Mountain once again!

Figured I'd post in this thread too though I already posted in the employee thread. :P

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. My name is Winfield. I use to hang around the boards and even post a few times until recently.

I worked as the Viper lead at GADV from 96-98 and loved every minute of the experience. This summer I have again returned to the park while I get back into the work game. I will be stationed at the SkyCoaster. I am excited to be seeing those who love the experience once again.

If you see me around the park please say "Hi" I do enjoy meeting good people. I let friends move out of my life and now want them back,

Favorite Non SF Coaster - Drachen Fire

Favorite SF Coaster - El Toro

I am an open book so ask me anything if you choose to know me,

Hi everyone. My name is Winfield. I use to hang around the boards and even post a few times until recently.

I worked as the Viper lead at GADV from 96-98 and loved every minute of the experience. This summer I have again returned to the park while I get back into the work game. I will be stationed at the SkyCoaster. I am excited to be seeing those who love the experience once again.

If you see me around the park please say "Hi" I do enjoy meeting good people. I let friends move out of my life and now want them back,

Favorite Non SF Coaster - Drachen Fire

Favorite SF Coaster - El Toro

I am an open book so ask me anything if you choose to know me,

Hey Winfield welcome! I'm Rob and I operate/attend Green Lantern. I'm the Asian kid with long hair come say hi! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...