VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Water parks that make people take their aqua Sox off before going down water slides. This year Moreys, Splashzone, and Wild Water Kingdom have posted rules banning aqua sox, on their slides. However, both Splashzone and Wild Water Kingdom selectively enforce it while Moreys consistently enforces it. Hershey Park which used to ban aqua sox now allows them and even has aquatic footwear permitted written on their safety signs. Don't know if Hurricane Harbor has any printed safety rules permitting or disallowing aqua sox, years ago they were the first park to ban them but have slacked off on it in recent years. What really gets me at Wild Water Kingdom is that they still have a aqua sox stand with a sign that says: protect your feet while you wait and slide. Seems like they are forgetting the slide part. The who ideal of aqua sox is to protect your feet. Taking them on and off for every slide wears them out prematurely, and messes up the inner sole as they are not designed for frequent removal during the day.

Edited by The Master

Thanks, so it seems HH and Hershey are the only parks that allow aqua sox. WWK, allows Aqua Sox on their rivers and Aqua Blast raft slide. It seems all the water parks just go back and forth about aqua sox.

WWK rules seem to really vary depending on the lifeguard. My last visit there I saw rash guards allowed on the body slides and other trips they weren't allowed. At Patriots Plunge, some lifeguards allow a small queue before each slide, others pit the chain up each time and only allow 1 group at a time and if everyone wants 1 slide and you are too far back in line to speak up and say you want one of the other slides, the line almost stops moving. I also saw the Aqua Sox being allowed even on body slides by some lifeguards. What I did at the tube slides was wear flip flops while walking up the stairs and then hold them on the slide.

WWK isn't training their lifeguards well enough to ensure they are standardized and uniform. There operations are deteriorating too. Most famous example of non standardized execution of procedures was on the Titanic regarding women and children first. The rule means to load lifeboats with women and children first, then load any remaining seats with men. On one side of the ship they were doing that, but on the other side the officer in charge thought the rule meant only women and children, no men at all. He sent out his lifeboats with empty seats, forcing more men to die than need be out of his sheer stupidity and misinterpretation. Non standardized enactment or enforcement of rules or regulations is a very bad thing and is a result of poor training and leadership.

Boa Blasters has a similar problem where people only want to go down the two Boas and not the Constrictor, so only two instead of three people where going. Coastline Plunge at Hershey also has that problem with the Riptide, Hydro, and Pipeline slides.

Edited by The Master

Quality of the whole amusement industry has declined.

Yep. Product quality in most industries has. What was standard 20 years ago is now "premium." What was premium is now "super premium" -- or unavailable altogether.

It's one thing in retail or travel where you can still pay to get better products or add on old amenities, but in more subjective and story-based areas like theme parks, cuts in theming and storytelling remove something that even a premium customer can't buy back.

Plus, we see more profit-grabbing moves that totally disrupt storytelling (e.g., Princess-themed rooms in the bayou-styled Port Orleans Riverside, to use a Disney example) than when everyone got the same experience.

Edited by pashacar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Politics! Both party's. Election years stink. I still vote but I don't need to hear what my opinion ought to be every fricken day. Glad the park is united in trying to have a good time. Need to go this weekend.

It was eye opening for me after my major park road trip a couple weeks ago of how much better things could/should be at parks. I've kind of accepted the upcharge and advertisement world of Six Flags parks and even life in general, but this trip was actually a step in the right direction. Especially Kennywood--that might've been the best single day at a park I've had in quite a long time. No ads, no upcharge lockers, no obnoxious crowds.

So it was interesting reading the above comments about how the industry has deteriorated, and in general I would agree. Kennywood was like a step back in time and was the most raw, innocent fun I've had at a park in a long time. Anyone that hasn't been recently, if ever, needs to get to Kennywood.

I went in expecting nothing but not only is the park great but Thunderbolt is only a half step below El Toro for me and Phantom's Revenge is better than Nitro. That place is amazing and I can't wait to get back someday.

Edited by Password121
  • Like 1

I only had around 4 hours when I went to Kennywood (it had rained almost all day so crowds were low enough to ride all the coasters and some other rides) in 2013 and really liked the park. It was a good combination of coasters both new and old and some great non coaster rides as well. If it was a local park I would have gotten a season pass. It was really inexpensive too, free parking and after 5 admission with a coupon was $14.99.

I'm glad Knoebels is close by that is almost the same type of park to me as Kennywood with both having great wooden coasters, a modern steel looping coaster with 90+ degree drops with lap bars, good dark rides (except Garfield's Nightmare), classic flat rides and unique rides that can't be found anywhere else.

• Like 1

There was something about it that just felt very genuine, apart from the rides. It was like they wanted you just to have a great time, not just to make tons of money. If I could change anything about the trip I did I'd spent a full day at Kennywood and I wish I lived closer. It just felt very old-times and special.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny I should read your post right after I read a story on MSN about how we are losing tolerance for the heat because we use so much AC. We don't give our bodies a chance to adjust to the raising temperature.

But, It is stinking hot out side.

• 5 weeks later...

That Holiday In The Park wasn't even in the top 5 for Best Christmas event in the Golden Ticket Awards. Why do I feel like if Great Adventure's event had been at Cedar Point (same decorations, lights and shows and comparable coaster / ride lineup) it would have been in the top 3.

• Like 2