VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

And they know how to raise postage rates without a problem. A 16 oz 1st class package went from $4.31 to just under $5 in just 1 year and that's with the discount from eBay.

Dorney posting multiple season pass previews on the operating calendar and then removing all of them. Friday April 27th was supposed to be for season pass holders, then opening got pushed back another week. WWK had the weekend before Memorial Day weekend May 19th and 20th as open for pass holders only. Sunday the 20th was taken off the calendar and now Saturday the 19th is gone too. With nothing being added for 2018 and the removal of a coaster (even though I didn't like the coaster, losing something with no replacement still isn't good), it's been a bad offseason for Dorney. Now I may not get there until June since I'd rather go to Great Adventure or Hershey instead during May.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

MLB and Facebook reaching an agreement to exclusively broadcast games on Facebook and not on TV. 2 out of the first 4 and 3 out of the first 6 broadcasts will be Phillies games. It's bad enough having to use Facebook to watch it but since these are day games, I can't even DVR them like normal and watch the game later in the day. Even if there could be option to watch it later on Facebook, the odds are you are going to see the final score before you even get to the video page.

It is hard to believe how the creative geniuses at Disney have either (1) lost their creative minds or (2) are being forced to just make movies that have been big money makers in the past.  Unfortunately, I think it is a combination of the two.

Below is a listing of the Walt Disney Co.'s movie releases for the next two year.  Titles in red are all sequels, parts of endlessly ongoing series of films, or live remakes of previously released material.  Of the 18 films, 12 fall into this grouping, leaving only six other titles - two of which are Marvel movies, one a nature film, and three that could be considered "new".  

I know studios nowadays use proven content to decide which films to make but unless you like superheroes or hearing an old story retold, I guess we shouldn't hold our breath for much of anything new or exciting coming to a theater near you soon.

Avengers: Infinity War — April 27, 2018
Solo: A Star Wars Story — May 25, 2018

Incredibles 2 — June 15, 2018
Ant-Man and the Wasp — July 6, 2018
Christopher Robin — Aug. 3, 2018
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms — Nov. 2, 2018

Ralph Breaks the Internet — Nov. 21, 2018
Mary Poppins Returns — Dec. 25, 2018

Captain Marvel — March 9, 2019
Dumbo — March 29, 2019
Penguins — April 19, 2019
Avengers Untitled (Avengers 4) — May 3, 2019
Aladdin — May 24, 2019
Toy Story 4 — June 21, 2019
The Lion King — July 2019

Artemis Fowl — Aug. 19, 2019
Frozen 2 — Nov. 27, 2019
Star Wars Episode IX — Dec. 19, 2019

I had no idea there were so many remakes planned. I'm surprised it is some movies around 25 years old like Aladdin and The Lion King. It seems like they are too recent for remakes.

That is one depressing list. Disney is really running Star Wars into the ground with a new one every year. 

One story I heard is that the reason Disney is making so many live action remakes is that they believe kids having grown up on cgi animations dislike classic 2D animation. Therefore they feel the classic original animated films are no longer marketable and must be updated through remakes. Plus it allows them to adapt the stories to include current trends and PC content. 

Wow, this thread is 10 years old! 

Edited by The Master

23 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

The number of news outlets, both TV and print, that are referring to Cedar Point’s Steel Vengeance as the world’s tallest and fastest roller coaster.  

And the saddest one is CBS Philly (and any other Philly media that did the same). The tallest coaster is in their region!!

This has to be CF's goal, so this grinds my gears on both ends. They go after these qualifier-records that they clearly know the media will conveniently forget or miss. First Fury was the world's tallest and fastest, then it was Valravn, and now it's Steel Vengeance.

(Yes, Six Flags does the same, but not as well)

Edited by Matt Kaiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kaiser said:

And the saddest one is CBS Philly (and any other Philly media that did the same). The tallest coaster is in their region!!

They literally said that the coaster is 205 feet tall in the broadcast as well. It's very misleading when they called Steel Vengeance the tallest and fastest when Kingda Ka is literally an hour away (you can sometimes see Philly on the top of Zumanjaro and Nitro).

1 hour ago, Matt Kaiser said:

This has to be CF's goal, so this grinds my gears on both ends. They go after these qualifier-records that they clearly know the media will conveniently forget or miss. First Fury was the world's tallest and fastest, then it was Valravn, and now it's Steel Vengeance.

I know it's somewhat petty but because of Cedar Fair doing those type of things, I like how Great Adventure took Cedar Point's tallest and faster coaster records away from them, and that it wasn't Cedar Fair that got took the fastest coaster record away from Six Flags. I still remember when Kingda Ka was under construction how upset Cedar Point / Cedar Fair fans were, claiming things like Six Flags was stealing the record or that it wasn't right how Kingda Ka "just" overtook TTD's height speed records.

5 hours ago, Matt Kaiser said:

Politicians in both parties do this all the time with the media. 

• 1 month later...

I noticed that as well last week. A lot of times they were only letting 1 person at a time slide at Snake Pit and Wildwater Rapids if multiple people in a row wanted the same slide. The ride side was also worse than normal. Since I was wearing a watch because WWK has no clocks anymore, I was timing how long it was taking at some of the coasters and at Talon, dispatches were taking around 4 minutes (my train was on the brake run for 2 1/2 minutes) and 3 minutes at Thunder Canyon with almost no line. 

It's going to get really bad in July and August if lines moved so slow in June when the park isn't that crowded.

That will be bad if they do not pick up the pace. Shame since Dorney used to be speedy until just a few years ago. 

Another part of the problem is they perform that stupid chain thing now instead of just staying by the slide and waving the next person to come forward like they used to, which Hershey and Moreys still do. 

Hershey's Boardwalk has a new problem now. Around dinner time, there is a big change rush and kids will hog all the toilet stalls in all the bathrooms in and nearby the Boardwalk to change in. So around that time, don't ecpect to be able to change or go number 2 anywhere near the Boardwalk. Before and after dinner time, the bathrooms are ok, just during that narrow timeframe that they become mobbed. Hershey does have change stalls in three change houses but I guess they fill up. 

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Medusa42 said:

When an uncreative person copies my ideas word for word and posts them to a facebook group as their own ideas.  It was strange reading my post from this site on Texas Thrill Seekers.

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/index.php?/topic/5473-six-flags-additions-for-2019/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-85797

ydgdbGD.png

I’ve had that happen several times too.  Someone even duplicated a post I wrote with photos and trimmed all the pictures to eliminate the site’s watermark in the corners.  That was nice of them.  

That's really crummy. I haven't had that happen with a post but it happens all the time on eBay where others steal my descriptions and pictures. eBay does nothing about it and you aren't allowed to watermark photos or add text to any image.

• 3 weeks later...

Moreys operating Great White weird again. For some reason they will run both trains, but only load one and run the other empty. Two weeks ago they ran the blue empty, and last week they ran red empty at around the same time of day.