VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

I am replying with my experience in troubleshooting Mechanical systems in buildings, but I'm positive the principal is the same for a roller coaster, after all, it is only a large machine! When a sophisticated computer controlled piece of machinery 'Breaks down' the only thing that is instantly known is what fault or error occurred. I imagine that a lot of the times the errors are the result of a computer glitch which can be reset. (Got to love how Bill Gates has ingrained us to just except glitches). If it cannot be reset, then the cause of the error must be determined. It is not instantly known what caused the error, it takes time to troubleshoot to determine what caused the fault to occur. Once the underlying issue is determined then the repair can begin. To troubleshoot by 'Replace that part and see if it works' is time consuming, costly, and quite frankly embarrassing for service people, because they will be back to fix it again very soon. Roller Coasters are unthinking and uncaring machines which are quite dangerous, I don't mind the time it takes to fix the ride so it is safe. I'll go on another and come back later.

true it is worth the time

. . . But often times it doesn't mean much of anything. When I rode Runaway Mine Train on my last visit, the operator was looking right at the people in the row in front of me holding out a camera to film the ride, and he didn't do anything, even though he said his visual scan was all clear.

So many issues...When rides go down, say king da ka, even if they do know what is wrong, they dont tell everyone. i dont know how many times i was told by mechanics at least 30 min or 60 min or all day and then they launch right behind me. There is no rhyme or reason why they go down and usually they dont know for the first 15-20 minutes or so exactly whats wrong.

as far as staffing, because of the weather and the employment of a lot of school aged kids, its hard to get them in and trained on all the rides before the season starts. The park does not own the vending machines and they have no control over their operation, same with the lockers.

The truth is, you never do know how long it'll be down. If the ride vallies or something along those lines...then you know it's not reopening...other wise, there's no way to tell for sure.

. . . But often times it doesn't mean much of anything. When I rode Runaway Mine Train on my last visit, the operator was looking right at the people in the row in front of me holding out a camera to film the ride, and he didn't do anything, even though he said his visual scan was all clear.

Same thing happened last week at Skull Mountain. People in the front row had a camera phone out and the op had to have seen it but dispatched the train anyway. They were taking flash pictures the whole ride which kind of ruined the ride.

And speaking of that, what is it with cell phones and rides. On that same ride, as soon as we hit the final brake run, I saw 2 other people take out their phones. On Nitro today I saw someone texting. Maybe it's because it didn't exist when I was a teenager (cell phones were around but few had them) but I just don't get what is so important you have to take a phone out to text on a coaster. I feel so old typing something like that that but I am only in my 20's.

Edited by Yoshi

On El Toro last Thursday (4/9) the operator, after announcing 'Visual Scan' proceeded to do a visual scan of her manicure.

Same thing happened last week at Skull Mountain. People in the front row had a camera phone out and the op had to have seen it but dispatched the train anyway. They were taking flash pictures the whole ride which kind of ruined the ride.

And speaking of that, what is it with cell phones and rides. On that same ride, as soon as we hit the final brake run, I saw 2 other people take out their phones. On Nitro today I saw someone texting. Maybe it's because it didn't exist when I was a teenager (cell phones were around but few had them) but I just don't get what is so important you have to take a phone out to text on a coaster. I feel so old typing something like that that but I am only in my 20's.

I agree with you about cell phones these days, last year I saw a kid talk on his cell during a whole ride on Skull Mt. I don't even see the point of texting yet alone text all the time like kids seem to do these days. Even though I am in my 20's I just don't get the point of alot of this new stuff and it makes me feel old too.

Crank-up the Rapids ride.... it is suppose to be 87 on Saturday and 91 on Sunday, both days "hazy, hot, and humid"! :Heatmizer:

Enjoy it because it will probably be 58 and cloudy when Hurricane Harbor opens!

WOW! I'm looking foward to this -_-

On El Toro last Thursday (4/9) the operator, after announcing 'Visual Scan' proceeded to do a visual scan of her manicure.

Yesterday I noticed that everyone was doing legit visual scans, except one operator on the Buccaneer, which was good.

Edited by pashacar

There were lots of huge gaps on Saturday, which was a shame since the line looked to be over an hour and a half long. The entire queue was full and evil Flash Pass users (like me) were getting on every fourth log or so.

Also, they were doing one group per log, which I don't think should be the policy with a line that long. My one friend and I got to ride alone, which was enjoyable, but probably not the right way to run the thing.

Edited by pashacar

Sorry for the double post, but it's a completely different topic that is certainly a "Misc GA Mumbling."

Basically, the food at the Cyber Cafe is awesome! Granted, I only got a cookie, but it was enormous, fresh, and tasted divine. Not a bad deal for 2.99 given its quality and size. Plus while I was in there I saw crepes, which looked amazing, and the donuts, which also looked delicious. I also really like the vibe they created, with the homemade feel of all the food (not sure what's in fact made on site) and the old-fashioned uniforms for the employees.

I have noticed a lot of gaps in the loading in the log flume, I counted 14 boats last Thursday (4/16). I noticed with the grouping, if the line is short they will let single riders and groups of 2 have their own boat but when the line was longer, they seemed to be putting more people in the boats though it sounds like that wasn't the case yesterday.

The line is moving slower this year because of fewer boats, the wait time from the 15 minutes sign is really close to 15 minutes.

pashacar, when you say the entire queue was full do you mean just the covered part or the switchbacks outside too? If the outside switchbacks were full I am REALLY glad I didn't go to the park yesterday.

Edited by Yoshi

I have noticed a lot of gaps in the loading in the log flume, I counted 14 boats last Thursday (4/16). I noticed with the grouping, if the line is short they will let single riders and groups of 2 have their own boat but when the line was longer, they seemed to be putting more people in the boats though it sounds like that wasn't the case yesterday.

The line is moving slower this year because of fewer boats, the wait time from the 15 minutes sign is really close to 15 minutes.

pashacar, when you say the entire queue was full do you mean just the covered part or the switchbacks outside too? If the outside switchbacks were full I am REALLY glad I didn't go to the park yesterday.

The entire covered queue. I don't see how it could have been any less than 90 minutes, the way things were moving. (Nor do I see how they could ever really use those outside switchbacks, given the condition they're in. Does it ever really come to that?)

Also, are there actually fewer boats this year, or have they just not added all of them on yet?

Edited by pashacar