VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2018 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

People get nostalgic about RT, but despite it being in that special 44" category that everyone thinks we so badly need, it was an unpopular ride. Since I began visiting the park in 1999 the coaster rarely broke 15min even on busy days, even with the occasional 1 train ops. More people came off it with headaches as opposed to smiles.

With our last 3 additions having a 48" requirement, plus the additions of JLBFM, Sky Screamer and the new Safari ride, I feel the park has done plenty to suit kids between the ages of 7-12 in the last 5 years. We were in the gutter quality and quantity wise for years, but I feel like the park is in much better shape now.

Hopefully the next addition is a full-scale coaster. Since Toro we've only had 1 that fits the bill, and it is a 20 year old relocated standup. It's time...

• Like 1

Since I began visiting the park in 1999 the coaster rarely broke 15min even on busy days, even with the occasional 1 train ops.

I have to disagree, even with a short line, the operations were so bad that it would take a good 30 minutes, easily, until you got on the ride.

• Like 1

I have to disagree, even with a short line, the operations were so bad that it would take a good 30 minutes, easily, until you got on the ride.

I rarely waited anywhere near that. But you are right, any lines were from terrible operations. As I said, it was rather unpopular.

• 2 weeks later...

I could see RMC T-Rex coaster is coming in 2018 or 2019. The flat ride package/Bugs Bunny Boomtown and DC Super Friends area is coming for 2018 or 2019 or 2020.

As that would be awesome, we're just getting off a year where we got a "Major" coaster and we're now gonna get a family Dark Ride, which probably aren't very cheap. Plus, Six Flags is going to Dubai, China, and possibly in Vietnam. Building Theme parks aren't cheap so if they do build a coaster "because of coaster costs" it won't be until like 2019-2020

As that would be awesome, we're just getting off a year where we got a "Major" coaster and we're now gonna get a family Dark Ride, which probably aren't very cheap. Plus, Six Flags is going to Dubai, China, and possibly in Vietnam. Building Theme parks aren't cheap so if they do build a coaster "because of coaster costs" it won't be until like 2019-2020

SF isnt building the theme parks overseas. They are selling the naming rights. And The Joker isnt a major coaster.

Edited by DANofNJ
  • Like 1

SF isnt building the theme parks overseas. They are selling the naming rights. And The Joker isnt a major coaster.

It's major by SF standards imo. What was the last "big" rollercoaster they built? The 4D winged coaster at SFA is the last one I can think of. Since then, all SF has added in terms of coasters are RMCs and these free spins.

It's major by SF standards imo. What was the last "big" rollercoaster they built? The 4D winged coaster at SFA is the last one I can think of. Since then, all SF has added in terms of coasters are RMCs and these free spins.

SFA doesn't have a 4D Winged coaster. And I'd say the last big addition was *insert anything SFMM has received in the past 8 years*

Mean while Cedar Point gets Gate Keeper(2013) repaints two major coasters plus a very large Dive coaster in one year(2016) and the next year comes back with a RMC make over on Mean Streak(2017) not to mention what ever else they are doing at the other Cedar Fair parks. AND the multi year Hotel Breakers expansions

As far as park up keep... I'm sorry to say but our park is dump compared to others. Why can other brands keep up with park appearance and be consistent with new rides. I feel like six flags scrapes the bottom of the barrel with new ride installs and lets the park go to waste

Edited by Mrpq
  • Like 2

Cedar Fair seems to take the opposite approach of Six Flags with additions. Six Flags likes to add new rides to most parks each year and Cedar Fair seems to constantly add big rides to the major parks and almost ignore the rest. Cedar Point has gotten a lot recently but there are other parks in the chain that haven't gotten a coaster in a while. Not counting kiddie coasters there is Valleyfair (last coaster added in 2007), Worlds of Fun (2009), Michigans Adventure (2008), Kings Dominion (2010) and some years even mid size parks get no rides at all, like Dorney this season.

Other than Great Escape and La Ronde, every park in the Six Flags chain has gotten a coaster since 2012.

Although I will admit I liked when Great Adventure got a lot of additions in a short amount of time like a coaster at least every other year from 1993 to 2008 but I can understand why that stopped.

SFA doesn't have a 4D Winged coaster. And I'd say the last big addition was *insert anything SFMM has received in the past 8 years*

Magic Mountain has to compete with Disneyland, DCA, Universal Hollywood, and Knott's Berry Farm. If course they're going to have frequent additions because it needs to stay relevant.

Despite us not getting a full-scale coaster for awhile, I doubt Six Flags even cares enough to do the math and realize what each park actually needs. For example, every single coaster at Six Flags America (or most of them if I'm not correct) is a relocation/clone. I agree, we need a coaster, I just doubt that the Six Flags corporation even cares to give us anything notable right now. Plus, other parks need a new coaster more than we do. When's the last time St Louis has gotten a coaster?

Edited by Tower

Mean while Cedar Point gets Gate Keeper(2013) repaints two major coasters plus a very large Dive coaster in one year(2016) and the next year comes back with a RMC make over on Mean Streak(2017) not to mention what ever else they are doing at the other Cedar Fair parks. AND the multi year Hotel Breakers expansions

As far as park up keep... I'm sorry to say but our park is dump compared to others. Why can other brands keep up with park appearance and be consistent with new rides. I feel like six flags scrapes the bottom of the barrel with new ride installs and lets the park go to waste

I agree, GADV is much dirtier and more worn down looking than Moreys, Dorney, Hershey, etc.

• 2 months later...

We haven't gotten any new coasters because they have been focusing on filling in other voids like flats, the safari addition, Zumanjaro and now a Dark Ride. Plus we don't have to worry about competition like SFMM does. I'm sure well get a nice treat in time. Even though MM got new coasters, Full Throttle basically launches you into a loop, turns dives into a tunnel and launches you into a brake run. It's more about quantity over there and Twisted Colossus was built on a previous structure. I think well see a few flats in movietown/ Old country to go with JLBFM followed by a Safari Kids/Looney Tune kids area make over since wiggles world was 10 years ago (WOW getting old) I don't mind if we have small additions for a few years if its to save up for a nice quality coaster. I wouldn't mind seeing a premier that has more to offer then full throttle or a really twisted RMC/ T rex. A GCI like american thunder would be nice too. However if they decide to splurge then a Giga would really be a nice treat preferably Intamin since we have b&m hyper. We got too spoiled last decade.

Yeah last decade was a lot, maybe too much in such a short period of time. Nitro, Superman, Kingda Ka and El Toro in 6 seasons maybe would have been better spread out over 12 to 15 years plus there was Bizarro 2 years before Nitro.

However if they decide to splurge then a Giga would really be a nice treat preferably Intamin since we have b&m hyper. We got too spoiled last decade.

The problem about having a giga coaster is that it'll be expensive so I don't see it happen. Tree removal is also highly required and could be controversial like what happened to the solar power plant.Plus due to NJ laws, any ride over 300 feet must have shoulder restraints. But it probably won't matter too much if it was an Intamin similar to Intimidator 305.

The problem about having a giga coaster is that it'll be expensive so I don't see it happen. Tree removal is also highly required and could be controversial like what happened to the solar power plant.Plus due to NJ laws, any ride over 300 feet must have shoulder restraints. But it probably won't matter too much if it was an Intamin similar to Intimidator 305.

I honestly don't see Six Flags going to Intamin after the Zoomanjaro incident.

However to add fuel to the fire, Mack is building hyper coasters and could probably build a Giga. And I mention them because they tend to have a good relationship with Six Flags (3 Dark Knights, Buccaneer Battle, Aqua Twist, Tsunami Soaker)

And they don't have as much maintenance problems as Intamin